Monday, November 17, 2008

I'll Try Again...

First of all, I need to apologize for our lack of blogging. Re-entry into "real" life has taken some adjustment. More adjustment than I ever would have imagined. I expected to come home changed, but I never expected to feel like THIS. I'm still trying to figure out what THIS is and assumed I needed to have that accomplished before I could continue journaling our trip. I think I've finally come to the conclusion that it may be awhile before I understand all that I'm feeling and thinking. And I'm afraid that if I wait until then, the memories of the trip will have faded and I'll be unable to share from the heart. So, I warn you in advance, I have no idea how this post will develop from here. I'm hoping that if I relive our journey again with you, then maybe all the scattered pieces of my emotions will settle down with some clarity in my heart.

So here goes...

Our last post ended with sharing about our wonderful time in Standard One. One of the biggest smiles that I've had in the past week just spontaneously erupted on this face! Standard One = Big Smile. 'Nuf said.

After Standard One, we were privileged to help in the Feeding Center. The Feeding Center provides meals to the children who attend the Free School as well as the children of the community. Everday from 12:30pm - 2:30pm, the children of Kibera can receive a free hot meal. They begin to line up each morning around 10am in anticipation of their one meal of the day. Since the feeding center is not a large building, they run in shifts. After each group is done eating, another group comes in. We began by serving food to the first group. We served ugali and boiled cabbage. I sure wish we would have taken a moment to capture a picture of the ugali for you. Ugali is a traditional Kenyan dish. It's a very heavy starch that has little nutritional value but fills the stomach. We were shown (once) how to portion the plates. Apparently, we didn't pay enough attention to our tutorial, because after serving the first group of people we were "fired" and banished to washing dishes.

Think of all the dishes that your family washes after Thanksgiving meal and then multiply that by 100. Next, subtract your dishwasher, garbage disposal and air conditioning (well, depending on where you live you may not need to subtract the air conditioning. In Arizona, A/C is still required at Thanksgiving). Then, add fashionable boots, loose goats and millions of giggles. That would come close to equaling our time washing dishes at the feeding center. It was an absolute joy!!

Here's a couple of photos of the feeding center.





And here's us banished outside to wash dishes.




I know you're jealous of the boots. It's okay. We know how cute they are.

It's been helpful to remember that serving can be a joy. And I get to walk out a bit of that joy tomorrow with my mom. No, it's not the feeding center in Kenya. It's a feeding center here in Phoenix. But because I spent some time today remembering the amazing joy I experienced in that "kitchen" in Kibera, I can hopefully share some of that same joy in the kitchen of St. Vincent de Paul tomorrow. How like my God to allow me this opportunity to work through the emotions of my heart and serve His people at the same time.

Somehow, my heart feels lighter and fuller. I feel the beginning of LIFE being restored to my heart. Can I leave you with this amazing truth? It's one that has proved true in my life over and over again. Especially today.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful.

And I hope to one day sport a pair of those boots.

Preferrably alongside of you.

Anonymous said...

I second everything Timmarie said.

What an absolute joy it has been for me to share these experiences with you through your beautiful heart.

Praying as you muddle through.