Friday, September 26, 2008

Plan A...or Plan A?

I am a planner - calendars, lists, post its, memo boards - the whole works.
If you are like me, you tend to have backup plans to the plans you make or are making. Mine don't stop with plan B. I tend to line up plan C, D, E, F,... you get the picture! My mind and thoughts are constantly whirring with activity - planning, planning for the plan, planning backup plans if the plan doesn't go as planned!!! Ever been there?
Obviously, I have been planning for our trip: What we need for our trip, flights we will need, what to take, lining up shots, passports, luggage, gapfillers while I am gone, and FINANCES!
You have a plan and you're stickin' to it... then life happens? Well, life happened for me this past week. Plans I had been counting on, crucial to this trip, went out the window - way beyond my control - and no matter how many backup plans I had made it wasn't going to matter! Ever been there?
For a planner, having no plans is most unsettling. No, it is maddening!!
In my madness, I went to the Lord loud, whiny, complaining and even accusatory. "Why did this happen?" "How could You let this happen?" "Don't you want me to go to Kenya?" Ever been there?
After my tantrum but still trying to scrape together plan Z, the Lord quietly led me to Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Then He whispered to my heart "Amie, I have a plan, my plan is still happening, and my plan is for your good. Nothing thwarts my plan - no need for plan B. Will you trust me?" I had an invitation from God to stay with His plan. Ever been there?
Well, I am here- so very thankful God does have a plan even when I don't understand it. Again, I lean not on my own understanding but am trying in all I do to follow Him - and let go of backup plans!!

2 comments:

Holly said...

God's plan A always seems to be better than all our A-Z's combined. Unfortunately, it's usually once we've let go of our plan Z that we are prepared for His Plan A. I'm so excited to see Plan A play out in your life.

Timmarie said...

It's been such a privilege to hear of how God's provision is coming in daily.

So thrilling. Way to fly by the seat of your pants, Amie!!