Friday, September 12, 2008

Reasons why...

Upon learning of our upcoming trip to Kenya, people have begun asking why we are going. A reasonable question. You would think I would be able to respond quickly and thoroughly. Not so. I have not found words sufficient enough. Forgive me, in advance, as I stumble through my try here.

I have loved Africa since as long as I can remember. Unlike some people, I always prayed God would ask me to go to Africa for Him. So far, He has seen fit to keep me here; but my heart beats for Africa. Over the past year, God has led me on a journey of laying that desire (demand!) down, taking my hands off, coming to the understanding that in this lifetime I may never see that dream fulfilled, that God is still good and He does have a plan. Through many tears and questions on my part and such tender grace-filled assurances on His, this past April I was finally able to release my hold on Africa. My love and passion for her beautiful people, her wild and risky land, has not waned but I am daily learning to be content in His plan for my life.

The year my daughter, Brea, turned 10, God placed a calling upon her heart for Kenya. She has always been tender towards others; especially children suffering with or orphaned by Aids. Kenya was a seamless fit. Occasionally, she and I would lie on her bed at night and she would share her dreams (many very literal) about Kenya. Some of the dreams God has given her are specific and practical. Some are huge!


So when my husband called to tell me about an opportunity for Brea and I to go to Kenya this October, an unexpected collision occurred in my heart. In that moment, I knew something holy, lovely and wildly profound was taking place - a fulfilling in me and a beginning for my daughter.


This trip will involve the obvious: Opportunities to help another; to bring illumination to an unknown need; to be challenged and changed in one's own priorities; to worship our Lord with another tribe & tongue - of which I am soooo excited to be a part!

However, this trip will also be highly personal.

I will be given the privilege of watching my daughter literally & figuratively take her first steps in walking out God's call. In the future, when she shares with us her life's ministry, I will be able to recall the sights, sounds, smells, tastes, and precious touches of her fellow Kenyans ~ and I will know a little of what she speaks. (How like my God to ask something of me that I was holding too tightly only to lovingly give it back! He is Amazing!)


My heart can't help but hope this will be the first of many trips I will make to Kenya. But should this turn out to be my one and only, I am beyond grateful that my heavenly Papa made it possible! I will be more than content to know He is investing a part of me there through the life and passion of my precious daughter.

It is more than I could ever have asked!

This is my reason why.

1 comment:

Holly said...

Your love for Africa is infectious. I love how you are "practically related" to everyone you meet from Africa. It will be like one big family reunion for you :)